During the school semesters pasta dishes are a big thing for us to make, mainly because they are fairly cheap and there are always plenty of leftovers. It took me forever to do, but I finally decided to try a homemade mac and cheese. So I got a recipe, and Asa and I changed it around so that it could have some spice to it. This is probably one of my favorite meals to make now because Asa and I cook it together 🙂
There are two parts to this recipe, the sauce and then the pasta.
Homemade Spicy Mac and Cheese
2 tbsp unsalted butter 1/4 cup Jack cheese
3 1/2 tbsp flour 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup milk 1/4 to 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese
1 box elbow macaroni 1/4 cup Jack cheese
1/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese 1/2 tsp chili powder
- Melt butter in a heavy-bottomed sauce pan over medium heat and whisk in flour.
- Slowly add milk, whisking constantly. Cook until the sauce thickens, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat. Add cheese, salt and chili powder. Stir until cheese is melted and all ingredients are incorporated. Add to pasta.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees; cook pasta.
- Mix pasta and sauce in a bowl. Mix throughly.
- Put pasta into a baking dish. Sprinkle with cheeses and chili powder.
- Bake uncovered for 15 minutes.
I used a pepper jack cheese which gave it a good spice. It is definitely a dish that we like to repeat because it is still good left over. If you are a person who likes creamy mac and cheese then this is a recipe that you would probably have to tweak a little bit, because as it is right now it isn’t a very creamy mac and cheese, but it is still good! Hope you all enjoy it!!